Charitable Children's Guild
As the first Orthopaedic Hospital support group, the Crippled Children's Guild, now doing business as the Charitable Children's Guild (CCG), was founded in 1911 in support of Dr. Charles LeRoy Lowman's pioneering care for children with crippling conditions. Since then, the Guild has given nearly $10 million to Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital. The Guild has made the future better by helping children through volunteer and financial support which has significantly strengthened the programs at LAOH. The Guild and its energetic Auxiliaries focus their attention on ensuring that children get the orthopaedic medical care they need to get the most out of life, continuing the legacy of hope and promise left by Dr. Lowman. Since the Guild began, no child has ever been turned away from Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital for financial reasons.
Continue: The League for Crippled Children
The Crippled Children's Guild was founded by a group of women from the Los Angeles First Congregational Church. They assisted Dr. Lowman in his clinic for crippled children at the Graves Memorial Clinic at USC. The ladies helped the doctor with children and provided funds for treatment and equipment. In 1913, enlarged as a non-sectarian group, they formally adopted the name of Crippled Children's Guild and incorporated. The members of the Guild followed Dr. Lowman to his clinic on North Broadway in Los Angeles - the first freestanding orthopaedic clinic in the west. They converted the stables into clinic rooms on the original estate given to Dr. Lowman, while they helped to raise funds to build the first hospital in 1922 on the estate property. For 100 years, the CCG and its Auxiliaries have remained committed to the mission of Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital.
The Guild has given thousands of volunteer hours to patient care and service at Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital. Among its many activities, the Guild operates the "It's A Bargain: Thrift Shop located on the Downtown campus at 2400 South Flower Street. The "It's A Bargain" Thrift Shop is open Monday through Friday from 9:30 to 3:30, and on Saturday from 10:00 to 2:00. All proceeds benefit the charitable care programs for children at Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital. Make a difference by donating and shopping at the "It's A Bargain" Thrift Shop. Donors can drop off new and used items and arrange for a pick-up by calling 213-742-1478.
The Auxiliaries of the Charitable Children's Guild include the following:
La Canada Flintridge Orthopaedic Guild
Organized in 1957, the La Canada Flintridge Orthopaedic Guild's major annual fundraising event is the lively Book and Author Luncheon held in the fall. Additionally, Christmas gifts are collected at yuletide parties and given to young patients at Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital's International Children's Program.
Members reside in the La Canada Flintridge, Pasadena and Glendale areas. Many members volunteer at the Downtown campus in the Thrift Shop or where needed throughout the clinics and activities with patients. Monthly meetings are held at members' homes. The group has contributed more than $600,000 to the mission of Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital.
Las Amigas de Las Lomas
Las Amigas de Las Lomas was founded in 1957 by F. Helen Parker who was then president of the Charitable Children's Guild and whose vision to take the mission of Orthopaedic Hospital beyond its walls to surrounding communities created the Auxiliaries of the Crippled Children's Guild.
Las Amigas de Las Lomas' ("Friends of the Hill") main fundraiser is an annual three-day English horse show, which is traditionally held the third weekend in July at Ernie Howlett Park in Rolling Hills Estates on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Las Amigas de Las Lomas has raised more than $1,000,000 since its founding in 1957.
Members reside in the Palos Verdes area, where monthly meetings are held at members' homes. Members may volunteer at Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital. Reciprocal membership is available with Las Madrecitas and Las Ninas for mothers and daughters.
For more information on Las Amigas de Las Lomas, please visit the website at http://www.lasamigasdelaslomas.org
Founded in 1956, Las Madrecitas is a unique mother-daughter organization that has contributed nearly $2.5 million to Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital. Fundraising activities are held year-round, culminating in the annual Las Madrecitas Evergreen Ball in January, where daughters from Las Madrecitas and Las Amigas de Las Lomas are formally presented.
Members are generally from the Palos Verdes area, where monthly meetings are held at various locations, and all members volunteer at LAOH in the Thrift Shop or where needed throughout the clinics and in activities with patients.
For more information on Las Madrecitas, please visit the website at http://worknotes.com/CA/RPV/LasMadrecitas/index.html
Las Ninas de Las Madrecitas
Comprised of daughters of members of Las Madrecitas and Las Amigas de Las Lomas, Las Ninas involves young women who are high school students and work to meet Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital and community service volunteer hour commitments. Projects include an annual fundraising fashion show and luncheon in the spring, ski trips and annual holiday candy sales. Members also make items such as stuffed animals for the Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital's young patients. Since its founding in 1965, the group has raised more than $450,000.
Members of Las Ninas are required to volunteer for the LAOH International Children's Program, as well as at the Downtown campus or the Westside campus. In addition, Las Ninas commit volunteer hours within their Palos Verdes community. Monthly meetings are held at members' homes.
For more information on Las Ninas de Las Madrecitas, please visit the website at http://worknotes.com/CA/RPV/LasNinas/index.html
Las Vecinas was organized in 1966 to support the International Children's Program Valley Orthopaedic Clinic in Calexico, California. Besides volunteering their time at the clinic, auxiliary members raise funds through their thrift shop, fashion show, plant and bake sales, bazaars and drawings. Members live in the Imperial Valley.
For more information on the Charitable Children's Guild and its Auxiliaries, please call the Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital Volunteer Services Department at (213) 742-1532.