Richard E. Bowen, M.D., FAAOS
Professional Titles & Positions
Director, Pediatric Sports Medicine Program, Orthopaedic Institute for Children
Director, Graduate Medical Education Program, Orthopaedic Institute for Children
Co-Director, Pediatric Spinal Deformity Program, Orthopaedic Institute for Children
Assistant Clinical Professor, UCLA/Orthopaedic Hospital Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles
Primary Area of Practice
Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery
Orthopaedic Institute for Children 2400 South Flower Street, Los Angeles, CA 90007 Appointments: Phone (213) 741-8330 Fax (213) 741-8338
Renee and Meyer Luskin Children's Clinic 1250 16th Street, Suite 2100, Santa Monica, CA 90404 Appointments: Phone (424) 259-6593 Fax (424) 259-6588
Hospital and Institute Affiliation(s)
Orthopaedic Institute for Children
Santa Monica-UCLA Medical Center and Orthopaedic Hospital
Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
Medical Board Certifications
Sports Medicine, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery, 2011.
Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery, 2004.
Medical Degree: UCLA School of Medicine, 1991-1995 Degree: MD
Residency: Orthopaedic Surgery, UCLA Medical Center, 1996-1997, 1998-2001.
Fellowship: Sports Medicine Travelling Fellowship, Kaiser-Orange County Medical Center and Orthopaedic Specialty Institute, Orange County, CA. March-July 2010.
Fellowship: Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery, Spinal Deformity, and Sports Medicine Fellowship, Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, July 2001-July 2002.
Fellowship: Orthopaedic Research Fellowship, UCLA Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, July 1996-July 1997.
Assistant Chief of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery Orthopaedic Hospital at Santa Monica/UCLA, 2009-present
Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 2009-present
Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), 2004-present
Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (POSNA), 2006-present
Scoliosis Research Society (SRS), 2002-present
AAOS Multimedia Education Center Subcommittee, 2006-present
POSNA Education Committee, 2008-present
SRS Evidence-Based Outcomes Committee, 2008-present; Chair-Elect 2009-present
UCLA Value Analysis Committee Member, 2009-present
Santa Monica UCLA Hospital Pediatric Committee Member, 2009-present
Orthopaedic Hospital Quality Assurance Committee Member, 2009-present
Doctors Education and Research Fund Committee Member, 2009-present
Ad-Hoc Reviewer, Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics B, 2007-present
Ad-Hoc Reviewer, Journal of Children's Orthopaedics, 2008-present
Ad-Hoc Reviewer, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 2009-present
Bone and Mineral Disorders
1. Liu SH, Henry M, Bowen R. Complications of type I coronoid fractures in competitive athletes: report of two cases and review of the literature. J Should Elb Surg 5:223-227,1996.
2. Bowen RE, Dorey FJ, Shapiro MS. The efficacy of non-operative treatment for lateral epicondylitis. Am J Orthop 30: 642-646, 2001.
3. Bowen RE, Otsuka NY, Yoon ST, Lang P. Osteochondral lesions of the capitellum in pediatric patients: role of magnetic resonance imaging. J Pediatr Orthop 21: 298-301, 2001.
4. Bowen RE, Dorey FJ, Moseley CF. Relative tibial and femoral varus as a predictor of progression of varus deformities of the lower limbs in young children. J Pediatr Orthop 22: 105-111, 2002.
5. Bowen RE, Dorey FJ, Thomas BJ. The impact of "mixed" hip components on polyethylene wear. Orthopedics 25: 499-502, 2002.
6. Oppenheim WL, Bowen RE, McDonough PW, Funahashi TT, Salusky IB. Outcome of slipped capital femoral epiphysis in renal osteodystrophy. J Pediatr Orthop 23: 169-174, 2003.
7. Bowen RE, Mah JY, Otsuka NY. Midshaft clavicle fractures associated with atlantoaxial rotatory displacement: a report of two cases. J Orthop Trauma 17:444-447, 2003.
8. Bowen RE, Morrissy RT. Recurrence of a unicameral bone cyst in the proximal fibula after en bloc resection: a case report. J Bone Joint Surg Am: 86:154-8, 2004.
9. Bowen RE, Struble SG, Setoguchi Y, Watts HG. Outcomes of lengthening short lower extremity residual limbs in children with planar fixators. J Pediatr Orthop 25: 543-547, 2005.
10. Oppenheim WL, Bowen RE. Clinical practice guidelines for bone metabolism and disease in children with chronic kidney disease: surgical management of osteodystrophy. Am J of Kidney Diseases 46(4) S1, 2005.
11. Bowen RE, Kehl DK. Radiographic outcome of soft-tissue surgery alone for the "hip at risk" in nonambulatory children with cerebral palsy. J Pediatr Orthop B 15: 109-112, 2006.
12. Tejwani SG, Scaduto AA, Bowen RE. Transient meralgia paresthetica after pediatric posterior spinal fusion. J Pediatr Orthop 26: 530-533, 2006.
13. Pirpiris M, Jackson KR, Farng E, Bowen RE, Otsuka NY. Body mass index and Blount disease. J Pediatr Orthop 26: 659-663, 2006.
14. Wren TAL, Sheng M, Hara R, Otsuka NY, Bowen RE, Scaduto AA, Kay RM, Chan LS. Agreement among three instruments for measuring functional health status and quality of life in pediatric orthopaedics. J Pediatr Orthop 27: 233-240, 2007.
15. Wren TAL, Sheng M, Bowen RE, Scaduto AA, Kay RM, Otsuka NY, Hara R, Chan LS. Concurrent and Discriminant Validity of Spanish Language Instruments for Measuring Functional Health Status. J Pediatr Orthop 28: 199-212, 2008.
16. Bowen RE, Scaduto AA, Banuelos S. Does early thoracic fusion exacerbate preexisting restrictive lung disease in congenital scoliosis patients? J Pediatr Orthop 28: 506-511, 2008.
17. Bowen RE, Scaduto AA, Banuelos S. Decreased body mass index and restrictive lung disease in congenital thoracic scoliosis. J Pediatr Orthop 28:665-8, 2008.
18. Ramirez R, Otsuka NY, Apel D, Bowen RE. Desmoid Tumor in the Pediatric Population: A Report of Two Cases. J Pediatr Orthop B 18: 141-144, 2009.
19. Celestre PC, Bowen RE. Correction of angular deformities in children. Curr Orthop Prac 20: 641-647, 2009.
20. Bowen RE, Gardner S, Scaduto AA, Eagan M, Beckstead J. Efficacy of intraoperative cell salvage systems in pediatric idiopathic scoliosis patients undergoing posterior spinal fusion with segmental spinal instrumentation.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 35:246-51, 2010.
Papers in Press
1. Bowen RE, Otsuka NY. Innominate osteotomy of Salter. In: Wiesel S, editor. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelpha, 2008.
2. Otsuka NY, Cuomo A, Bowen RE. Open Achilles tendon lengthening. In: Wiesel S, editor. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelpha, 2008.
3. Yen YM, Bowen RE, Otsuka NY. Supracondylar humeral osteotomy for cubitus varus. In: Wiesel S, editor. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelpha, 2008.
4. Otsuka NY, Bowen RE. Chapter 31: The Child with a Limb Deficiency. For: Weinstein SL, Flynn JT, editors. Lovell and Winters Pediatric Orthopaedics, Seventh Edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, 2010 (anticipated date).
1. Oppenheim WL, Bowen RE. Chapter 22: Child Abuse. In: Staheli LT, song KM, editors. Pediatric Orthopaedic Secrets, Third Edition. Mosby-Elsevier, Philadelphia, 2007 (pp 123-129).
1. Bowen RE, Dorey FJ, Oppenheim WL. A comparison of outcomes instruments in pediatric patients with cerebral palsy. Pediatr 102:732,1998.
2. Bowen RE, Dorey FJ, Oppenheim WL. A comparison of outcomes instruments in pediatric patients with cerebral palsy. Devel Med and Child Neurol 41(S80):24,1999.