Assistant Chief of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery Orthopaedic Hospital at Santa Monica/UCLA, 2009-present
Associate Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA 2009-present
National Society Memberships Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2004-present Active Member, Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America, 2006-present Active Member, Scoliosis Research Society, 2002-present
National Society Committee Service AAOS Multimedia Education Center Subcommittee, 2006-present POSNA Education Committee, 2008-present SRS Evidence-Based Outcomes Committee, 2008-present Chair-Elect ,2009-present
Hospital Committee Service> UCLA Value Analysis Committee Member, 2009-present Santa Monica UCLA Hospital Pediatric Committee Member, 2009-present Orthopaedic Hospital Quality Assurance Committee Member, 2009-present Doctors Education and Research Fund Committee Member ,2009-present
Editorial Service Ad-Hoc Reviewer, Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics B, 2007-present Ad-Hoc Reviewer, Journal of Children's Orthopaedics , 2008-present Ad-Hoc Reviewer, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 2009-present
1. Liu SH, Henry M, Bowen R. Complications of type I coronoid fractures in competitive athletes: report of two cases and review of the literature. J Should Elb Surg 5:223-227,1996.
2. Bowen RE, Dorey FJ, Shapiro MS. The efficacy of non-operative treatment for lateral epicondylitis. Am J Orthop 30: 642-646, 2001.
3. Bowen RE, Otsuka NY, Yoon ST, Lang P. Osteochondral lesions of the capitellum in pediatric patients: role of magnetic resonance imaging. J Pediatr Orthop 21: 298-301, 2001.
4. Bowen RE, Dorey FJ, Moseley CF. Relative tibial and femoral varus as a predictor of progression of varus deformities of the lower limbs in young children. J Pediatr Orthop 22: 105-111, 2002.
5. Bowen RE, Dorey FJ, Thomas BJ. The impact of "mixed" hip components on polyethylene wear. Orthopedics 25: 499-502, 2002.
6. Oppenheim WL, Bowen RE, McDonough PW, Funahashi TT, Salusky IB. Outcome of slipped capital femoral epiphysis in renal osteodystrophy. J Pediatr Orthop 23: 169-174, 2003.
7. Bowen RE, Mah JY, Otsuka NY. Midshaft clavicle fractures associated with atlantoaxial rotatory displacement: a report of two cases. J Orthop Trauma 17:444-447, 2003.
8. Bowen RE, Morrissy RT. Recurrence of a unicameral bone cyst in the proximal fibula after en bloc resection: a case report. J Bone Joint Surg Am: 86:154-8, 2004.
9. Bowen RE, Struble SG, Setoguchi Y, Watts HG. Outcomes of lengthening short lower extremity residual limbs in children with planar fixators. J Pediatr Orthop 25: 543-547, 2005.
10. Oppenheim WL, Bowen RE. Clinical practice guidelines for bone metabolism and disease in children with chronic kidney disease: surgical management of osteodystrophy. Am J of Kidney Diseases 46(4) S1, 2005.
11. Bowen RE, Kehl DK. Radiographic outcome of soft-tissue surgery alone for the "hip at risk" in nonambulatory children with cerebral palsy. J Pediatr Orthop B 15: 109-112, 2006.
12. Tejwani SG, Scaduto AA, Bowen RE. Transient meralgia paresthetica after pediatric posterior spinal fusion. J Pediatr Orthop 26: 530-533, 2006.
13. Pirpiris M, Jackson KR, Farng E, Bowen RE, Otsuka NY. Body mass index and Blount disease. J Pediatr Orthop 26: 659-663, 2006.
14. Wren TAL, Sheng M, Hara R, Otsuka NY, Bowen RE, Scaduto AA, Kay RM, Chan LS. Agreement among three instruments for measuring functional health status and quality of life in pediatric orthopaedics. J Pediatr Orthop 27: 233-240, 2007.
15. Wren TAL, Sheng M, Bowen RE, Scaduto AA, Kay RM, Otsuka NY, Hara R, Chan LS. Concurrent and Discriminant Validity of Spanish Language Instruments for Measuring Functional Health Status. J Pediatr Orthop 28: 199-212, 2008.
16. Bowen RE, Scaduto AA, Banuelos S. Does early thoracic fusion exacerbate preexisting restrictive lung disease in congenital scoliosis patients? J Pediatr Orthop 28: 506-511, 2008.
17. Bowen RE, Scaduto AA, Banuelos S. Decreased body mass index and restrictive lung disease in congenital thoracic scoliosis. J Pediatr Orthop 28:665-8, 2008.
18. Ramirez R, Otsuka NY, Apel D, Bowen RE. Desmoid Tumor in the Pediatric Population: A Report of Two Cases. J Pediatr Orthop B 18: 141-144, 2009.
19. Celestre PC, Bowen RE. Correction of angular deformities in children. Curr Orthop Prac 20: 641-647, 2009.
20. Bowen RE, Gardner S, Scaduto AA, Eagan M, Beckstead J. Efficacy of intraoperative cell salvage systems in pediatric idiopathic scoliosis patients undergoing posterior spinal fusion with segmental spinal instrumentation.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 35:246-51, 2010.
1. Oppenheim WL, Bowen RE. Chapter 22: Child Abuse. In: Staheli LT, song KM, editors. Pediatric Orthopaedic Secrets, Third Edition. Mosby-Elsevier, Philadelphia, 2007 (pp 123-129).
1. Bowen RE, Otsuka NY. Innominate osteotomy of Salter. In: Wiesel S, editor. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelpha, 2008.
2. Otsuka NY, Cuomo A, Bowen RE. Open Achilles tendon lengthening. In: Wiesel S, editor. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelpha, 2008.
3. Yen YM, Bowen RE, Otsuka NY. Supracondylar humeral osteotomy for cubitus varus. In: Wiesel S, editor. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelpha, 2008.
4. Otsuka NY, Bowen RE. Chapter 31: The Child with a Limb Deficiency. For: Weinstein SL, Flynn JT, editors. Lovell and Winters Pediatric Orthopaedics, Seventh Edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, 2010 (anticipated date).
1. Bowen RE, Dorey FJ, Oppenheim WL. A comparison of outcomes instruments in pediatric patients with cerebral palsy. Pediatr 102:732,1998.
2. Bowen RE, Dorey FJ, Oppenheim WL. A comparison of outcomes instruments in pediatric patients with cerebral palsy. Devel Med and Child Neurol 41(S80):24,1999.